Buffalo, NY: J. Sage & Sons, 1860. Small 4to, blind and gilt stamped cloth, folding lithographed map, 28.5” x 44.5”. Not in Phillips Maps, Streeter, Eberstadt, Graff, Simonetti, Marcou or Hazen & Hazen. Covers fine, map backed with Japan tissue closing a few fold separations, several short stains along folds from early cello tape, overall very good. Item #100230
Surveyed and drawn by Charles Smith of Ohio and lithographed by the Buffalo, NY firm of J. Sage & Sons the map is comprised of three irregular sections, keyed to each other, forming a strip map of Oil Creek and East Branch Oil Creek to the confluence of the Allegheny River. Executed on a scale of 1,200 feet per inch showing approximately 20 operating wells, each of which are identified by a wooden derrick in perspective along with more than 100 wells in progress identified by circles and cross hairs. Topography bounding the waterways drawn in hachure with roads, buildings and saw mills clearly drawn as well as private, business and oil company lands prominently named throughout.
An subsequent identical map, on a reduced scale of 2,300 feet per inch, was published in 1864 by R.C. Root, Anthony & Company which is generally considered by scholars and historians to be the first commercial map of the Pennsylvania oil regions. The Root, Anthony map retains the same title, with Smith’s name removed, but presents Smith’s sections as a continuous strip map, printed in an irregular format and folded into covers. An enormously elusive and important map of which only three other copy appears extant, one at the Carnegie Library .and two at the Drake Museum in Titusville. Very rare.