Sedalia & St. Louis: J. West Goodwin & August Gast, 1887. Broadside, lithograph, woodblock & wax engraving on an elephant folio sheet, 30.5” x 24”. Lightly toned along old folds, few pin pricks and light rubbing, overall very good to near fine. Not in Phillips "Maps", OCLC locates no copies. Item #100251
A rare Reconstruction Era promotional composed and printed for “Morey & Crawford, Real Estate and Loan Agents” located at 410 Ohio Street, Sedalia, Mo. Founded on paper in 1858 by George R. Smith on 503 acres of land, Sedalia would become the Pacific Railroad terminus in 1861 and would soon become the largest interior city in Missouri. Prosperity and growth followed the railroads west and by 1887 the population would grow from 18 in 1860 to 22,000 according to Morey & Crawford (14,000 according to census records). The town also served as a terminus of the Texas cattle drives in the 1860’s and 70’s.
The map, compiled by August Gast of St. Louis, shows an approximate six mile radius surrounding town with land owners, prominent places, roads and waterways named. The most prominent feature however would be the confluence of the MK&T, MoPac and proposed AT&SF railroads amidst the surrounding farmlands. With gas light, paved roads and over 200 telephones installed by 1881 Sedalia still retained its frontier roots.
Ref: Lippincott’s Gazeteer 1863 &1883.